Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle 7 and 8 drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanAuber

IS-IT--Management
Apr 28, 2000
FR
I have two questions

i) If I install ORacle 8.1.7 odbc drivers on a server already using Oracle 7.3 drivers will I be able to use both (to point to two different databases ?)

ii) I have downloaded the 8.1.7 drivers to a machine - but it seems I need the Universal Oracle Installer to get them running - is this true or is there a "back-end" way of installing them one I have the necessary files downloaded ?

thanks for any help out there

Dan Auber

hi,

I don't know about the first one, but yes you need the universal installer to install the new driver.

Hi,

but you should have the Oracle Installer onto your 8.1.7 Installation. If installed on PC you should find em under Programs-Oracle Installation Products

It could be working with the 7.x ODBC but it will not take all features as known in 8.x. So it is better to use the 8.x driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back