Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oracle 10g Express -- Can I drop/create database? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

huchen

Programmer
Jan 24, 2006
US
Hello,

I need to drop and create database in Oracle10g Express version.

I have to deininstall and install Oracle Express in order to achieve this.

Can I drop and create database in Oracle Express? How to do it?

Thank you.

huchen,

You should not drop the database which is supporting your APEX session, otherwise it would disappear along with the database. You would then have no means of building another one.

Using APEX you could invoke a script, and/or perhaps the DBCA to destroy a different database from that which you are using, but I must ask, why do you want to drop a database? For what business reason?

Obviously this is all dependent on you being granted sufficient privileges and permissions on the machine that's running Oracle. Noramlly drop database privileges are only granted to DBA's, and not end users. What is the business requirement here huch?

Regards

T

Thanks. DBCA does not exist in Express. I am doing it on my own computer to try a new process.

I want to see how to copy a database(Express version) from another machine to my machine without reinstall.

And my machine needs to have db_1, or db_2, or db_3 depends on what I need.

What is the easiest way doing this? Will copy files \oradata\XE from another machine to my machine work?

Thank you.

Huch,

I only run enterprise, so I can't be sure. However, could you not expdp from the other machine, build another database on your machine, and then impdp?

I use enterprise at home, and since it's not for commercial use, there are no licencing issues. For a proof-of-concept problem (which yours appears to be) why not install the "full Monty"?

Regards

T

Thank you again.

For some reason, I must use Oracle Express.

Tharg,

is there a way to download Enterprise for home use like you are saying? I have Express currently installed on my home machine now for use with my certifications, however some of the processes are not available.

This would help a ton.

Yes,

just go to the oracle site and download whatever version you want. Provided it really is for personal use, there is no requirement to pay a licence fee. I can freely declare that on my home PC I have installed Oracle 11g Enterprise, with no fear of being pursued for a fee by Oracle.

Wisely, oracle encourage use of their software, so that people want to use it commercially.

will give you access to 11g, and also out of date 10g downloads, if you wish.

Regards

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back