Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-12514 TNS: the listener could not resolve the service_name of ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

9iguy

Programmer
Aug 6, 2003
VE
ORA-12514 TNS: the listener could not resolve the service_name of ...

I`ve just installed oracle developer suite 9.i full in a client pc, and when I try to connect to the database it produces a ora-12514 error.

I`ve already created a tnames.ora file with the net configuration assistant application as follows, what else should i do to get the connection done:

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\OraHome1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

INEA.INEA1 =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Inea-qu4cq22k5w)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = inea)
)
)

Look for the names.default_domain entry in your sqlnet.ora file to see if it is set to INEA1.
The entry should look like names.default_domain = INEA1
Without seeing the listener.ora file, I imagine you are using the default port of 1521.
Also make sure that you can see the Inea-qu4cq22k5w host (Best way is to ping to that server.)

Hope this helps.

AJ.

yes, I checked sqlora.ora file and it´s set to INEA1
the listener is using the default port 1521 and I´m sure I see the server but to make sure I pinged and it was sucessful.

give a ligth please.

I connected using isql*plus with the internet explorer but with sqlplus gives me a ora-12514 error.

I´m not sure if I have to have a listener.ora file in my PC, it seem to me that the listener.ora file should be only in the server where the database is placed, please explain me that.

see the follows files:

# SQLNET.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\OraHome1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = INEA1

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES,HOSTNAME)

# TNSNAMES.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\OraHome1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

INEA.INEA1 =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Inea-qu4cq22k5w)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = inea)
)
)

# LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\OraHome1\network\admin\listener.ora

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = GIF1)(PORT = 1521))
)
)
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = C:\OraHome1)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
)

I also tried to change manually the listener.ora file by changing hotname gif1 to Inea-qu4cq22k5w and nothing happend

9iguy: obviously, your tnsnames.ora file contains no entries for your database. Your listener listens on GIF1 host, while you're trying to connect to Inea-qu4cq22k5w

Regards, Dima

look what I did and still gives me a ora-12514 error

it says that the LISTENER could not resolve the SERVICE_NAME

# LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File: C:\OraHome1\network\admin\listener.ora

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.0.0.2)(PORT = 1521))
)
)
)

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = C:\OraHome1)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
)

INEA.INEA1 =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.0.0.2)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = inea)
)
)

hi men
I just copy part of the text of the listener.ora file from the server and the same thing with the tnsname.ora into my PC and it`s connected finally I solved the problem.

But Now When I open a form It compiles very well but when I try to run it nothing happens, I checked the preferences and copy this line:

but still the form does not run.

the browser opens and it hangs.

I changed the port to 7778 but the same thing happened.

Sorry if I make some mistakes in my writing but i´m not an English expert, I´m in Venezuela.

thanks.

Oracle Database listener is not the same as HTTP listener. You should specify in URL the host where OC4J runs. If you just test it, I suppose that the host is your localhost, though you should start OC4J at least.

Regards, Dima

where OC4J should run?

I started oc4j instance but nothing happend

are oc4j and http listener the same thing?

how do I create a http listener and where I create it?

the name of the server where the database is placed is :
Inea-qu4cq22k5, and the name of the client where Developer suite is installed is gif1.

which URL should I specify?

I don`t understand all this thing very well ´cause I used to work with older versions of developer (6i, developer 2000) and I didn´t have to do anything like this, the only thing i used to configure is the Oracle Database listener.

would somebody help me?

I have 2 days stoped because of this.

when I started oc4j instance the next text was displayed:

C:\OraHome1\jdk\bin\java -Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBClass=com.inprise.vbroker.orb.ORB -Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBSingletonClass=com.inprise.vbroker.orb.ORB -Doracle.security.jazn.config=C:\OraHome1\j2ee\Oracle9iDS\config\jazn.xml -Doracle.home=C:\OraHome1 -DORACLE_HOME=C:\OraHome1 -jar C:\OraHome1\j2ee\home\oc4j.jar -userThreads -config C:\OraHome1\j2ee\Oracle9iDS\config\server.xml

Do i have to edit this?

Do I have to install something in the server.

please help!!!!!!!!!!

I'd suggest you to read manuals, online help at least, it takes less than 2 days. Without any special tuning I launched my first 9i form in less than 10 minutes. BTW, 6i also supports web deployment.

Regards, Dima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back