Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-03113 when trying to create database on Solaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicendice

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
GB
Hi
I am having a recurring problem that I am unable to solve and would very much appreciate some help with. I have Oracle 8.1.7 and the OS is Solaris (uname -a gives "SunOS host1 5.8 Generic_108528-27 sun4m sparc SUNW, Sun-Fire-V440").

Whenever I try to run a create database script, I get the error:
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

However, this does not seem to be consistently the case. Sometimes I get different errors, such as:
ORA-27100: Shared memory realm already exists
or:
ORA-00445: Background process PMON failed to start after 120 seconds

Some times it seems to get further than others before falling over, without any indication as to why.

The OS has the very latest patch downloaded from the SunSolve web site and I've checked that all the system semaphore settings are as recommended in the Oracle installation guide.

I woudl very greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Thanks very much

One thing I forgot to mention - I've tried a total Oracle re-install but without success.

There were no errors indicated during the install, but when it tried to start the test database, the same error occurred.

ORA-03113 is a communication problem, may have a number of reasons (incorrect SID, missing LD_LIBRARY_PATH, improperly linked binaries etc). Other 2 errors probably mean that you're trying to start already started instance.

Regards, Dima

Have you checked your kernel resources are correct to handle Oracle?

shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
semsys:seminfo_semmns=1000
semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
semsys:seminfo_semmsl=200

Yes, it seems more like Oracle failed in allocate the SGA for lack of resources or capabilites

Thanks guys. The kernel resources are set as follows:

shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=20
semsys:seminfo_semmns=2000
semsys:seminfo_semmsl=1000
semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
semsys:seminfo_semmvx=32767

Oracle params are:

shared_pool_size = 167772160
db_block_buffers = 40960

Are there any other Oracle params that may be worth checking?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back