Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiritOfLennon

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2001
GB
Hi,
I'm running Oracle 8.1.7 on Hp Unix 11.00 on a test server. During a particularly blonde moment I changed some of the settings in TNSNAMES as I'm trying to migrate to a new test server and I wanted to have access to both servers in order to compare and update. I've since changed the settings back but I cannot start my database. When I start server manager and connect internal I get the ORA-03113 message.
If I try and start SQLPLUS I get
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
HP-UX Error: 2: No such file or directory

My ORACLE_SID environment variable is set correctly. The entry in /etc/hosts is correct.
The listener will start up.

Anybody got any great suggestions, I really need this server up and running tomorrow or my arse is toast.
Thanks in advance
SOL

SOL
I'm only guessing but my guess work generally works for me.

Hi... can you post the section of your alert.log file from when you start up the database. I suspect there will be more errors in there!

An ORA-3113 "end of file on communication channel" error is a general error usually reported by a client process connected to an Oracle database. The error basically means 'I cannot communicate with the Oracle shadow process'. As it is such a general error more information must be collected to help determine what has happened - this error by itself does not indicate the cause of the problem. For example, ORA-3113 could be signalled for any of these scenarios:

Server machine crashed
Your server process was killed at O/S level
Network problems
Oracle internal errors / aborts on the server
Client incorrectly handling multiple connections
etc.. etc.. etc.. - a lot of possible causes !!

Cheers

John (Sudmill)

Also try the following ..

With Oracle 8.1.7, the error ORA-27101 reports that the shared memory key generated by the client does not match any currently existing keys. This is to be expected if the ORACLE_HOME used by the client is not the same as that used to startup the database or when the ORACLE_SID value is not correctly referencing the right instance.

Review the listener.ora currently used to startup the listener and verify the ORACLE_HOME value is correct for all listed Oracle8i databases. If the ORACLE_HOME points to the 8.1.7 software, however the database was created using a different version (e.g. 8.1.6 or 8.1.5), then this error can also occur.

Good luck.

Cheers

John (Sudmill)

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm trying to run the startup on the server itself, not sure what you mean by client. It's definitely not a version issue, the database was fine until I screwed it up. I've checked the alert.log file and there is nothing recorded in it related to the start up.
Regards SOL

SOL

Winston:
Hi ! error 2 mean some file is missing ... are you sure you din't delete a file by mistake ? it sound like missing some file, please check that all the required files are there.

I've found the problem. It was the semaphores in the Unix kernel. Which is really wierd because this hasn't changed!! Thanks for the advice anyway guys.

SOL

"I'm only guessing but my guess work generally works for me."

Good Guess! ;-)

Glad you sorted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back