Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-01456 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

itorient

Technical User
Feb 20, 2004
US
Hi, all. When running a report off a procedure in Oracle. I have received this error:

"ORA-01456: may not perform inert/delete/update operation inside a READ ONLY transaction"

A bit confused about this error. The procedure was compiled successfully, but failed when called from Crystal

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi,
What Oracle version?
What Connectivity? If ODBC or ADO, be sure it is not set to ReadOnly -
The best method is to use the native connection - Usually listed as Oracle Server..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Oracle 10g. I used RDO and got the message as mentioned. When using ADO, I got different error message: ORA-06550. Thanks for your help.

Hi,
Did either error contain the line or string causing it?

For the 01456 one, given this explanation:

ORA-01456: may not perform insert/delete/update operation inside a READ ONLY transaction
Cause: A non-DDL insert/delete/update or select for update operation was attempted
Action: commit (or rollback) transaction, and re-execute

It may be you have an uncommited transaction pending in the SP...

[profile]

No, it did not. I did have commit for each transaction. Could it be the driver it is using that caused it?

Hi,
Please post the complete error message ( especially for the 6550 one)..

Have you tried it with the Native connection method?

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back