Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ORA-00767 : Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewtUK

Programmer
Mar 13, 2001
GB
We are in the process of converting Forms 4.5 modules to Forms 6 and testing them against a 9i database. For the most part, this is going okay. However, in one instance we are getting the error ORA-00767, but there is no description in the error text, the server messages and codes manual, or the Oracle website (spent 2 hours trying to find something, without any luck!).

Does anyone have any ideas what this means?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Are you sure that error was really ORA-00767 ? I mean both the number and prefix. Can you reprobuce this behaviour? Regards, Dima

Yes, that is definitely the code I get and I can reproduce it quite easily, but it does only happen under certain circumstances (the circumstances being certain combinations of information required by our system).

Regards

Richard

Did you see the code raising this error? Was it the "authentic" oracle message or just user-raised alert with this text? Regards, Dima

It looks authentic as it is displayed as an unhandled exception on a WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way of knowing exactly which instance of this trigger it refers to (the situation is such that a great deal of information is being automatically populated in the forms meaning that a lot of these instances are being triggered).

Rich

are you sure there isn't a RAISE_APPLICATION_ERROR somewhere in the code that is raising that exception?

Perhaps you might do a search in dba_source and see if the error is raised somewhere. If it is data dependent then
it may be that a programmer put in an exception for invalid combinations or something along those lines in trigger code.

If it isn't a programmer raised exception, then I suggest you log a tar, because that error isn't documented anywhere that I can find. Perhaps it is platform specific. .
.. Eat, think and be merry .
... ....................... .

I'll take a look and have a chat with our dedicated Oracle developer.

Cheers for the advice and happy new year :)

Rich

Our Oracle developer has looked at the code and discovered that the trigger(s) in question did not like the use of a char type variable, as opposed to a varchar2 type variable. Changing this type appears to have resolved the issue.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back