Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optivity for Synoptics 28115

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossgodfrey

Technical User
Oct 20, 2002
US
I recently bought a 28115, and am trying to configure it. I have read that optivity is only available from Nortel, so I did call them. I was told I can only get it if my company has a contract with them. Here's the glicth: I have no company. I am a home user in school for networking, and bought this switch for $30 to use for my home lan (and lan parties). I really don't want to have to pay a lot of money for software. I downloaded the 90 day evaluation version, but it does not list the 28115 in it's compatability. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Boss Godfrey

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Come to find out it costs roughly $1000 for optivity software--this from an authorized reseller. Upon contacting Nortel once again, I found some very helpful people. Turns out you need a straight cable to console into this switch, whereas I was using a rollover (Cisco training). Also, in hyperterminal, you have to use X-on/X-off. Oh well....got it going now, thanks for the quick reply!
Boss Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back