Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Options for using a printer in another room???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliver108

Technical User
Feb 10, 2009
US
We moved to a new place and having the printer next to the computer in our current set up will make the room look cluttered. To solve this I have decided to put the printer in the closet so that it is out of view. I was going to use a USB connection with a hub since the distance between the closet and the computer will be around 20 feet. Then I thought about getting a wireless router and a print server. I have a Canon MP830 and it can not be networked, hence the print server. I also need the wireless router to work with a Vonage router. After looking at my options to do this wirelessly my cost was around $250. A little steep to have the printer out of view. However we have a laptop and wireless would be nice. Has anyone found a solution that I am not thinking of? The print server that Canon supports with their products/recommends is around $150!

Thanks for you help in advance,

Jeffrey

You really can do that much cheaper.

Wireless Router:

There should not be any compatibility issues.

And for the Printer maybe one of these:

All you need to do then is configure the wireless router first, and then the wireless printer to connect to the router.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

vacunita...This this is an all in one will I be able to copy and scan all well? The MP830 is a few years old.

That's a good question. You should be able to print, and copy, not so sure about Scanning.

Never tried that before.

I'm not entirely sure the scanning part will work through the print server.

Someone else here that's done that before may be able to chime in with there analysis, and suggestions.

Of course there's always the wired alternative:
Snake a USB cable from the closet to the PC.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Probably scan locally. Although with USB you might be able to access it from either computer.

So far as the networking, you have one router, you could use power line networking. Router to one end of the power line netwotk, other end to laptop. Then share the printer.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

It is starting to sound like running a USB may be the best bet lol. I don't really want to cripple any functions on my MP830. I am starting to think that in general the printer will only live up to all its functions if it is connected via USB?

I believe the maximum recommended length is about 16 ft. I've seen USB connections as long as 20 ft work but with reduced reliability.

As for your concern of scanning over wireless, I'm guessing that it will work fine. There's no reason to believe that the type of data transfer required when scanning is any different from printing or that it is going to cause issues.

On the bright side if it doesn't work, you can always resell the print server on eBay. It seems like a small investment buying from tigerdirect (thanks to vacunita).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back