Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OptionButton control array allows multiple selections 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRodes

Instructor
May 28, 2003
US
I've never run into this before. I've written an application with two option buttons in a control array. The first selection is selected by default. In the compiled version of the application, if the user selects the second button and then reselects the first one, the second one stays selected. So, both are selected, and no further selecting is allowed.

Has anyone seen this before? It's a new one on me. Users are in Windows 7.

TIA

I have just tried what you describe in .exes under W7 64b using Form, PictureBox and Frame Containers (with and without v6 Common Controls); no problems so far using mouse and keyboard switches.
Have you tried stripping it down to a minimal Form just containing the Option Boxes, or have you no W7 to test on?

I have this weird feeling that the screen refresh rate is not ‘up to par’ on this user’s machine and the option is not ‘really’ selected, it just appears this way.

Just a guess

Have fun.

---- Andy

Very good, Andy. That's pretty much what it turned out to be. We were having all sorts of interesting problems with screen refresh, data out of sync and the like. When we had the users log on to a virtual machine that didn't have the problem, the problem went away. We still haven't figured out exactly why. Hugh, thanks for hammering on the problem. I appreciate your going to the trouble.

I had a user whose refresh rate was way off and he could not see some command buttons on the Forms in my app, they were never 'painted' on him system (XP). He could click on the area where the buttons were supposed to be, and the click worked just fine, he just did not see the buttons. He never complained, but I had it fixed for him so he can see where he clicks now :)

Glad to help

Have fun.

---- Andy

My boss was fooling around with this and found the answer. A number of the users were using the application via RemoteApp. He found that the screen updated immediately upon dragging the window a tiny bit. So, the problem is repeatable when using RemoteApp and Windows 7, and is not encountered when not using RemoteApp. Thanks everyone for your input.

Are you still concerned about the performance through RemoteApp? You could try lowering "hardware acceleration" in advanced display settings, not sure if its the same in windows 7 but I've used this in xp to speed up some graphics loading. Not sure if this will help but it might be worth a try. There also should be settings in RemoteApp you can play with.

Tom

Interesting tip, Tom. They just stopped using it for the work they were doing, but I'll tell the boss and see if he wants to play around with that. Thank you!

An unintended consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back