Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optional Parameter Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcl5

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2002
GB
Hi guys

Using Oracle 8i and Crystal 10.

I have a report which prompts the user to enter en event number to display event attendees for the designated event.

The report displays the event name at the top of the report.

The problem we have is that the database field length for the event name is only 60 characters long (which we cannot change) and is not always long enough to record the full event name so I want to create a parameter field to display on the report in place of the event name which will allow the user to choose either the default database event name {EVENTS.EVENT_NAME} or prompt them to enter a different, fuller report name.

Is this possible?

Many thanks.

jlc5

Create your Paramter with prompt something like
Enter Event Name or leave blank for default event name.

Then create a formula

If isnull({?Param}) then {EVENTS.EVENT_NAME}
else {?Param}.

Place this formula in header.

Ian

Thanks Ian but this didn't quite work, however prompted me to think and have now resolved.

I created a parameter field with default values of 'Use Event Default' and 'Insert Event Name'. I have used two report header sections and conditionally suppressed them where True and False.

Many thanks.

jcl5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back