Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optional Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

lburgoyne

MIS
Jun 24, 2003
US
We have customer folders that are broken up into sections. The folder has over 50 potential sections, but most folders seldom have more than 15. I am trying to create a template for my users where they can choose which sections the folder has and create a coversheet for each section.
I am considering sections, and bookmarks, but I am having a hard time getting started.
Any ideas?

Lou Burgoyne

We have customer folders that are broken up into sections.
I do not understand this.

Folders broken into sections?

Sections are parts of documents.
Folders are file containers.

I am missing something.

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

I knew the term sections would be confusing, but I don't know what else to call them.
Imagine a customer has a folder with documents that relate specifically to them:
Engagement agreement
Statement of Work
Change Order
Design document
etcetera
Each of these documents is seperated with a legal page with the seciont name at the bottom to make it easier to find the document desired.
Now imagine that instead of 5 document types, their are 50 differenct document types. No customer has more than 20, but most have at least 10. We just don't know which ones.
My goal is to create a template where the user can identify which document types are to be included.
I hope this is a little clearer.

Lou

Can you make a form with 50 check boxes. And then on the top of the form have a combobox to select type of account. When the account type is selected have the checkboxes for the default documents needed become checked. This will give the user the chance to change which documents this customer needs. And then make a commandbutton to create the folder and use an inputbox to get the company name for creating the customer folder. Then have any documents that were checked saved into that folder.
I hope this is somewhat understandable.

ck1999

Not much.
I think you're saying that you have a (single) directory with O(20) documents in it. Each document starts with a specially formatted page with a special purpose tag at the bottom (that you charmingly refer to as section) that you want some application to key on. Is that right?

If so, I think you need to describe the process flow in a little more detail (i.e. the user brings up application X (you still don't say but it's looking like Word), the user pushes a button, the application throws up a dialog where the user enters a tag ID, etc.)

The folder I am talking about is an old fasioned hanging folder. The Word Template will be used to create seperator sheets to identify paper documents in that folder.
LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back