Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optional feature not implemented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickbloor

Technical User
Feb 14, 2001
US
Hello.
I am trying writing an asp script to view Progress data on a web page.
I have built a DSN using the Merant 3.70 32-bit Progress driver. This successfully connects.

Whenever I attempt to connect to this DSN via the asp script I get the following error.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver]Optional feature not implemented.

THE DSN WORKS!!
---------------
I have built a .vbs script to test the DSN and the connect works successfully.

THE ASP WORKS!!
---------------
I have tested connections to SQL servers & Access databases using the same method & they work.

Is this a common problem?
Does anybody know of a fix or a work around?

Can anybody help please????

Regards

Nick Bloor.

Nick,

I am having the exact same problem. The dsn works fine in Excel, Access, from the ODBC Manager, etc., but when I try to run it from ASP I get the same error.

I am using the Merant/Data-Direct ODBC Connect 4.0 driver for Progress.

Did you have any luck with this?

I am also having the exact same problem... any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I had this problem with SQLServer.
What I did was use the refresh method of the parameters collection to be able to see how MS wanted the parameters filled out. I then wrote the cmd.parameters.append cmd.createparameter code with the appropriate settings.

This was able to resolve my problem.

Here is sample code to support my last post.
The cmd.Parameters.Refresh method (supported on some rdbms) will allow you to see how the database/ado would create the parameters. This is inefficient code, but it works!
I used the locals windows to assist me in writing my code.
Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
Set cmd.ActiveConnection = m_oConnection
cmd.CommandText = "UploadInsert_EquityDisbursement"
cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
' cmd.Parameters.Refresh
cmd.Parameters.Append cmd.CreateParameter("RETURN_VALUE", adInteger, adParamReturnValue)
cmd.Parameters.Append cmd.CreateParameter("@equityDisbursement", adInteger, adParamInput, , iEDSID)
etc...
cmd.Execute

I'm connecting to various versions of Procress via the 3.6 and 4.something ODBC drivers (progress v8.x and 9.x respectively). When I get these errors it means that there is something wrong with a) the Progress server or b) the network connecting my app to the server.
I quite often get another error message as well, indicating the real problem. This can vary from network down to insufficient Progress Client licences. One thing I have seen is that the Progress server needs to explicitly enable ODBC access, otherwise all connection attempts fail (don't ask me how - I've never even seen the progress servers I just read/write to them from C#!)
Something else I've notices is that if enough errors in a row occur - say because the progress server is down for backup or whatever - the ODBC drivers get in a bit of a state and keep returning errors (with the same message you quote) until I recycle all processes using the drivers to ensure that they're not in memory any more (a reboot is easiest :)

All that error means is that something has stopped the connection attempt from suceeding; somewhere there may be another one being a bit more descriptive.....
Sorry I can't be of any more assistance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back