Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Option to edit record if it already exists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 24, 2004
US
I created a database for data entry. I have selected three fields as primary keys to avoid duplicates. These fields are [Month], [Lease], and [Amount].

For every month I enter an amount for a lease with a data entry form, which opens in add mode. I have a text box for the month and I select the lease from a combo box.

Sometimes I have two amounts for a lease in one month.
When I go to add a new record and if the record already exists, I get the error message, "The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they will create duplicate values in primary key." I want to customise the message to read, "Record Already exists, do you want to edit existing record?"
I then want to go to the record and open it in edit mode to make changes.

I hope this is possible.

Thanks in advance

Amount is not good key item. It relies on people choosing different amounts in order to make your database work. I would have thought something like Lease (as a foriegn key) plus either payment time (timestamp) or payment_serial (an increasing number).

Your example is not easy to understand. Surely if a person makes a second payment in a month, you wish to keep the two payments separate for all sorts of financial reasons.

So in summary your technical problem goes away if you re-design your database to more closely match the business situation.

I removed the primary keys.
I know this sounds complicated but what I basically need is to check if a record exists
if it does have the option to go to record and edit
if it doesn't create new record.

You could create a Before Update event for the form and write code using Dlookup to see if a record meeting your criteria already exists.

It gets a bit complicated because you'll need to toggle between Data Entry and Edit modes.

HTH,
Bob [morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back