Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Option Groups and Tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

chew1920

Programmer
Jan 11, 2005
US
I have an option group set up that has 40 choices in 3 different subgroups. I am running out of real estate, so I was wondering if I could keep the one option group but have it spread to 3 tabs, or if it would be better to have controls over lap and just change their visible status base one the group selection?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Out of the 40, can you have more than one selection? You said you have them grouped? I would think you could set up different Option Groups based on the grouping and then you can put them accross more than one tab.

Not sure if I am following you. Let me know if I am missing the point.

Of the 40 options you can select only one of them. The options are divided into 3 types to make it easier on the user to find the proper selection. These types have no bearing on the data other than to help the user. Once any of the options are selected, common fields are modifed to display pertinant information to the user.

do they first select a subgroup and then something from the option group corresponding to that subgroup? if so, then maybe doing the visible thing is the best option.
or, maybe you could just use a pair of comboboxes where the second one gets its recordsource based on the results of the first combobox? that would save real estate.

When the user first gets to the form, they see all of the options with one of them selected. The options are split apart by labels and creating the subgroups. The users like seeing all of the options on the screen to make it easier for them to enter information for multiple groups by just clicking on the desired option. I am looking at changing this now since we are in the process of adding more options to multiple groups and there is very limited space. Any help is appreciated.

You could have the groups split into three tabs (or however many groups you have) and put one option group on each tab. When the user selects one, you can disable the others or make visible property on the others false. You can have a clear button to clear the option group and make the others visible or enabled again if they decide they made a mistake.

Thanks for the help. I have decided to use toggle buttons and show and hide the different groups based on which button is pressed, that way I don't have to rewrite some of the code for what each option does.

How are ya chew1920 . . .

How about a seperate option group [blue]for selecting the subcategory[/blue] & populating the 2nd option group accordingly (requires more coding of course)?

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back