Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Option 81C maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomiga1

Technical User
Apr 30, 2010
US
I currently maintain a Nortel 81C. That is to say that I can handle basic adds, moves, changes. Our company utilizes an outside vendor for any serious malfunctions/upgrades. I obviously would like to learn as much as I can.
Can anyone recommend the next level of training that I should seek or at least direct me to some preventive maintenance tasks that I might be able to handle.

Thanks for any direction!

Thank you Firebird.....I know some already but good refresher.

the bad thing about an end user doing upgrades or major failures is lack of practice... if you do a couple of upgrades a month or more, they are pretty easy.. same with system down problems... the more you see the faster you become and the more you learn... a presons 1st out of service or upgrade should not happen when he is the senior eng on site..

i have seen 100's of systems down and never had one i could not get back up.. that said my 1st was 25+ years ago...

learn what you need to stat everyday... learn the loads and commands for replacing cards or bringing up ipe's loops etc... at times people with decades of experience still use access to Nortel for problems... when you vendor is on site, ask questions... if they do not help, find a new vendor..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks for the words John! I certainly would like to own the beast instead of the other way around. Though I am THE go-to guy for all telecom issues, I have to defer way too much. Luckily (maybe) we recently upgraded to latest release. Just read some old posts for daily routines that I need to investigate further.

As John said, the more familiar you become with your switch the better. Can start with starting a morning routine and go from there. Can also do cool things like call traces, watching D-Channel messages etc.

ld 22
prt
ahst or vhst (this gives you a good idea what your switch is doing)
ld 30
stat
ld 32
stat
ls 48
stat msdl
if GROUP <cr>
stat aml
ld 96
stat dch
ld 60
stat
ld 135
stat mem
stat cpu
stat cni
ld 137
stat

Now, all that being said, what I haven't heard or read on this website are potential danger areas. I'm curious by nature and love to investigate but don't want to make a fatal keystroke.

Are there any loads/commands best left for the pros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back