Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Option 61 CMDU Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneGuyy

Technical User
Feb 8, 2008
US
Hey I cant remember off the top of my head, but what is a good estimate in time to replace CMDU and reload software and everything...brand new replacement CMDU...

4Hrs would be way to long if all goes well.............

The time taken is a bit rubbery.

Consider...backups, the swap including dongle, the s/w load (if on disk about 10 mins) then you have to load the database, then synchronise. Thats a biggie as depending on your processoes could be as little as 5 - 10 mins, or as long as 30 mins or so.

Plan on the 4Hr window, and be happy when all goes well!!

Well basically I am trying to make a window....

yea if everything goes perfect sure about 2 hours, but come on now we are all tech how often does that happen..

4 hours should be plenty. 2 hours, even less than that if all runs good. We all have replacements go bad and those are definitely the things that we like to talk about when discussing what we do. But I have had more upgrades, installs and card replacements go good than bad.

I would have to say in almost 20 years I would say less than 1% of the maintenance and install work I have done has gone sour. It's just that 1% always seems to be real bad, but never unrecoverable and most of the time related to bad hardware.

The problem with going real high on a maintenance window is if you come in too low then the next time they will say you are over estimating and want you to do something like rebuild a Call Pilot in an hour.

Hope all goes well with your replacement.

janaya- yes I agree this is a pretty basic replacement just my work was trying to get me to do it 2 hours before the Main Building opens which I dont want to do... So that is why I was guesstimating 4 - 5 hours just in case and to get them to not do it before like that...

I have had bad luck with bad "refurbished" CMDU cards. I gewt a matched set in and one will not read the Install program diskette, some won't boot up at all, I get them with bad CD-ROM drives. I have a bad on in an active machine now and had to pull it out of the backplane for the system to calm down and the set I got in to replace it were bad and I am waiting on anothe rset now

Thanks,

Buddy

Linked in Profile

Yes I have heard that there were a bunch of bad ones...I want to say like Rls 6 - 9 for some reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back