Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

option 176

Status
Not open for further replies.

sha111

Technical User
Oct 16, 2007
CA
if we delete option 176 and 232, will it impact phones getting their ip address? will it disrupt voice or data network?

thanks.

sha111,

This will not impact the IP phones as this string is only used for when the phones boot to get their instructions on what to do such as CLAN, TFTP, Tag, etc.

46xx handsets use option 176 so as long as you put the option back you should be able to delete this without disrupting service

I think 16xx handsets use 242

thanks....

as far as i know phones try to get ip address upon bootup
from dhcp server and wondering if we delete option 176
....from where the phone get their ip address?

please give me more detail....

option 176 does not give them their IP address, DHCP does that by definition. The option allows DHCP to also tell them the addresses of the CLANs to register to.

Why do you want to delete option 176? this also sets the fileserve address and VLAN settings

the phones are getting ip address but not able to download
tftp file....
as a short term solution we need to manually configure the phones...what are steps to configure phones manually?

are you using a sepate tftp or http server or using the s8xxx server?

do you get any error messages as eg file not found

yes we are using separate tftp server....not getting that error message

sorry geting error "file not found

check the setup of the tftp server, outgoing directory and what files are present in that directory

make sure the DHCP server is giving the phone a good mask and gateway address. See if the TFTP server can ping a phone.

we ran into a similar issue. what we found our issue was is TFTPDIR=/tftpboot/avaya/. we did not need the path as the phones already knew this path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back