Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Option 11 system problems after power disturbance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdave1980

Systems Engineer
Dec 18, 2017
GB
Hi everyone,

Please forgive my ignorance but I do not usually work on Nortel/Meridian systems and I know very little about them. One of our customers has an Option 11 system, and following a power disturbance it appears to be faulty. I am going to try to attach a very short video if the forum will allow me to. The PSU has no DC light on (I don't know if it usually does have it on), the Batt light is on, and there is a loud click every second or so. The lights on all the installed cards flash at the same time very briefly every time we hear the click sound. Is this something that anybody has encountered before? I suspect that the PSU is damaged but I wanted to check before replacing it in case there was something else that could be the cause. I should add that I am not physically present at the site but can relay simple instructions to people who are. Is there anything we can get them to try please?

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

Dave

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c7a51e30-11fa-4689-b436-fcd03b5803bf&file=PBX_Issues_After_Power_Disturbance_-_Copy.mp4
I know what’s happening here. When I got my lab opt 11, the original PSU I had did this and when I replaced the psu the problem was solved so that’s what you would want to replace here, once that happens if you could take pictures of the PSU’s AC and DC board that would be greatly appreciated.

Nortel Meridian 1 & CS1000 Enthusiast
Fire Safety and Security Enthusiast

@VRRyan Thanks for getting back to me so quickly about this one. I had a feeling it was most likely the PSU that was damaged. I believe the next step for us will be to arrange for a 3rd party subcontractor to attend the premises and replace the PSU and/or whatever else needs doing, so in all likelihood we will never get to see the failed PSU they remove from the PBX. If we somehow do get to see it, I will post pictures.

Thanks again

I would also try removing all load aka cards because it could be a faulty card causing that issue.

Power down the system first.
Unseat all the cards except for the Processor card in slot 0.
If you have Meridian Mail in slot 10, then turn off the switch
If you have any expansion cabinets, then leave then powered down.

If you have any terminal plugged in onto one of the TTY ports, then leave it switched on to see what's going on.

Apply power to the main cabinet. The power unit should show two green LED's.
Leave the system for 5 minutes as turning it off too soon can corrupt the database.
The processor card called a SSC or the older SCORE should have a green LED showing.

It might be worthwhile posting a photo of the cabinet.
Assuming thst you have power to the cabinet, start plugging back in the cards with intervals of one minute at a time.
The extension cards should give out a couple of clicks when they load up.
If any of the extension cards such as a FALC or DLC shows a red LED, then there will be issues on the processor card.
You might have some PRI cards that tend to be in slots 1 and two etc, Plug them in and hopefully you should get 3 green LED's

Keep up posted please?.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Also @bigdave1980 could you get the model number at the bottom of the faceplate of the MISP and SILC card please?
Unreleased but I’m interested in buying those online at some point.

@Firebird Scrambler Thanks for the detailed instructions. Going by that, do I understand it correctly that some the cards are hot-swappable? After the system is shut down and then powered up again with only the processor card in slot 0 and all the other cards unseated, we can start to seat the cards one at a time with 1 minute intervals without switching off the power between cards? I'm pretty sure that's what you are saying but I just wanted to check that's what you meant as I know some of the systems I work on (other brands) don't like that. I have got a photo of the cabinet but it's not very clear what the writing on all the cards is, I'll see if I can find it.

@VRRyan thanks for the responses, I'll see if I can find those part numbers from the cards for you. I'm based quite far away from where the system is located and have never been there, and probably won't be going there, but if I can get someone to take a picture again then I will.

Thanks

The extension cards were not meant to be hot swappable, but we often had to do it and we never had a card fail during that time. The cards only tend to fail after a Lightning strike or severe power disruption.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

My cards in my hobby CS1000E hot swap just fine and I've never experienced any issues but you mileage may vary.

@Firebird Scrambler @VRRyan Just a quick update on this one, a 3rd party contractor we used for support at this particular site has been able to talk the end users through removing the failed PSU from the main cab where the processor card is installed, and replacing it with a PSU from the sub cab. This has restored service to the main cab. The end user site, a hotel, now has around 70% of their phones back in service. A replacement PSU has been ordered and will be installed into the system once delivered, hopefully restoring service fully.

I will update again if there is anything else to mention but hopefully the new PSU should do the trick.

If I don't manage to come back here to update again, thanks very much to all who helped out with this one. This particular system is alien to me so your assistance was very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back