Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimum values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parasu

Technical User
Mar 11, 2001
PH
Dear all,

* If my database's initial size is 50 MB, what is the optimal size for the transaction log.
* The other question is, how do I remove the logs automatically overwritten? This would reduce the harddisk space utilisation because of the transaction log.

Thanx
Parasuraman Parasuraman

The answer depends on many factors.

Which version of SQL Server are you using?
How much update activity will the database have?
How frequently will you do backups?
Which type of backups will you do?

If you use SQL 7 or later, you can set the log to autogrow so you don't need to worry about size as much as with previous versions.

When you backup a database or log, the transactions are removed from the log and the space will be reused. Terry Broadbent
Please review faq183-874.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J Boorstin

Hi Terry,
I'd like to answer the questions u said.

* Which version of SQL Server are you using?
Im using sql server 7.0

* How much update activity will the database have?
The update activity will be pretty heavy.
* How frequently will you do backups?
Every night
* Which type of backups will you do?
Full backup

And, if i say the autogrow option, won't it keep increasing and keep using more spaces?

Thanx again Parasuraman

If you set autogrow, the log will grow until you backup the database. As I mentioned, backup will empty the log of all committed transactions.

If you have a heavy activity database, I suggest that you also do transaction and possibly differential backups throughout the day. With your present plan, if your server crashes and you lose the database and the transaction log you would only be able to recover to the last full backup. You could lose several hours of transactions. Read some information on backup planning to help you determine the best plan for your site.

Terry Broadbent
Please review faq183-874.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J Boorstin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back