Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimum resolution for saving drawings for print

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcoombs

Technical User
May 6, 2006
GB
I have created a drawing in coreldraw for use as a logo. I have saved this as a png with a 96 dpi resolution for use on a website. This is great.

I want to use the same drawing to transfer into word documents as a letter head for print.

Any ideas please as to the optimum file format and resolution for this?

Thanks
Mike

Depending on the size and complexity of the logo, and on how much space will be an issue for you for storing your word documents. 300dpi is always a safe resolution for very crisp sharp edges. Unless this happens to be an extremely large logo or very detailed, you may need to go to 600dpi, but 300dpi should be suitable for most any print job, including print house camera ready artwork.

If the logo is small enough or very simplistic, 200 dpi might be suitable - but unless file size is a concern, I would just go with 300.

Attrofy

Thank you.

I also meant to ask what format is preferable - bmp, png, gif etc.

Thanks
Mike

Well, most anything will work - .bmp is Windows "native" format, but .jpg works well. I would go with something "lossless" like .tiff or something similar. The file size will be bigger, but any resizing that is done in Word will not alter the image (as opposed to .jpg which can alter the image when resizing). Another option is .EMF (Extended Windows Metafile) and .WMF (Windows Metafile). These allow text to be edited. My experience has been .tiff is best if you are trying to EXACTLY match something in a layout. .JPG works well in about 90% of the cases, but can cause issues later if you have "creative" end users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back