Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimizing Procomm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoValence

Technical User
Mar 21, 2006
US
Hi all,

I've noticed that when procomm is just sitting there idle without a serial device connected to the pc, and a char is pressed when the procomm terminal has focus the cpu utilization goes to 100% and stays there until a device is connected via direct connect or procomm is closed. This problem is annoying since my cpu is weak to begin with.

I was just wondering if there was a setting or a registry value i can edit to optimize procomm to keep this from happening.

Thanks in Advance,

I have not heard of this before but will look into it. I can't think of a setting that could be changed to deal with this though. Do you have Procomm set to use a non-connected modem or a direct connection?

I'm on a windows 2000 with procomm ver.4.7. I've tested this on another machine with XP and the same version of procomm and the tests produced the same results.

So you might think this issue was fixed in procomm ver. 4.8, which i believe is the latest version available.

What version are you running?

Can confirm that this happens to me to :)

I'm on Procomm 4.7 and W2K.
The staus line flashes "Enable 'Modem command mode' in Data menu to type modem commands" when I press a key.
Procomm has no place to send the key pressed.....

BTW only 20-30% CPU-hog during this.

:) Geir

NeoValence: If Procomm needs to start or run before a serial device is connected, would a "set modem" or "set connection" command that sets "none" (or however that is specified) resolve your issues? Then when you "do" need to connect to a post that appears - maybe a "waitfor" could detect the connection and then run a "set connection/modem" command for the real connection.

I'm no PCPlus expert, but I am not sure the other follow-ups were considering your machine had no connection at the time you have this problrem.

GHTROUT.com | FAQs | Recent Replies

GHTROUT,

Yes is the answer you seek. I had to go back and make a work-around which is kinda similar to what you suggested. The procomm terminals in question (4 to be exact) all run the same nested loop, test script to test 8 units simultaneously. The script had to be edited to detect a disconnected device and set the direct connect to none then prompt the user for action.

I also tried updating the procomm dlls with no relief which is why i got busy editing my test script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back