Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimizing Paradox for speed across a VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jartman2

MIS
Feb 22, 2003
US
I'm trying to run my Paradox application over a VPN from home. Paradox is installed on the local machine, but all forms, tables, scripts, and the launcher .exe are on the remote server at work.

I've noticed that many processes which I thought were basically local are very slow. BTW, this occurs on the network at work too, but it's more consistent and easier to reproduce over the VPN.

The best example is a logon dialog form which accepts a username and password. It takes 15-20 seconds for this form to appear, which I understand, but then it takes 2-3 seconds for each keystroke as you're entering your username. There is no PAL code accessing a table at this time, and I assume the form itself is totally loaded into local RAM (i.e. there should be no network accesses back to the login.fsl file on the server once it's loaded). The network lock file is remote also, but it shouldn't be getting accessed at this time either. What's slowing things down?

I doubt it would help here, but I've often thought of trying to profile my application. Does anyone have any experience using a profiler with Paradox?

- John

Jartman:

Sorry about the Looooong delay in a reply. I don't think this has anything at all to do with Paradox. It sounds like something is either going awry with the VPN connection or the local machine.

I agree totally, I guess I'm just trying to understand better how Paradox works. If I could re-write parts of the code in a different way to minimize table accesses, I might be able to improve performance in a number of places. Here's a perfect example where I thought there were no table accesses at all, yet it's still slow. Am I wrong about that?

This is a low-priority problem, but I expect I'll keep returning to it until I come up with a solution or at least an understanding of it. I'll post anything I figure out...

Meanwhile thanks for your input.

- John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back