Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimizing a report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogy

Programmer
Nov 20, 2002
SI
I have a report that shows picture of an article. I managed
to do report like this: (in the group header is the picture
and in the detail band is information (text fields):

-----------------
| |
| Picture |
| |
| |
-----------------
Text 1
Text 2
Text 3
Text 4

But I want to look like (the text must be immediately
on the right of the picture):

----------------- Text 1
| | Text 2
| Picture | Text 3
| | Text 4
| | …
-----------------

Is this even possible to do in the VFP8 ??

Thanks

Do text1, text2, text3, text4 represent separate fields in the same detail record, or separate detail records?

If there is only one record per picture,then Mike L's solution would work. If there are multiple records per picture, then that solution probably wouldn't work.

If there are multiple detail records per picture, one possibility would be to pre-process the data to combine all the detail records into one big detail record. Then you'd have one detail record per header and you could do what Mike suggested and eliminate the header/footer groups altogether.

Mike Krausnick
Dublin, California

Yes, there are multiple detail records per picture.
I've tried to put picture in the detail band, and in the "Print when" properties of the picture i've set "not" to print repeated values. The picture is show only once but on the right side I have gaps between two text records.

How should I pre-process the data, because one picture can have 3 detail records, another 10 or 45,...?

Mike,

I'll try this... i just hoped that there's a sollution with report designer.

Thanks,
Rogy

If you have problems where the band is mysteriously too long, as though the report were reserving enough room for the stretched text and photo sequentially rather than the actual side-by-side placement, then see my post here: thread1252-984387

Hi Rogy,

I think you can get this to work by creating your detail band tall enough to hold only 1 line of detail. Place the top of the picture in the detail band and let it extend down below the detail band into the lower bands.

Jim

Jim,

Interesting tip, but I can't manage to get it work.
If I use fixed picture, it is displayed only once per page!?!
But if I use my picture from table (the path to the picture is in the table field), nothing is displayed.
I've streched picture from detail band, over the group footer band.

Rogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back