Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optimising and patching for IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

borsk

IS-IT--Management
Dec 3, 2001
US
Hi, I have a NT 4.0 server sp 6a , Intel Pentium III 850 MHz with 1024 MB RAM

Its running Internet Information Server and a 2 printers, the IIS is sued for intranet only. The amout of files is almost 10.000 and takes 500 MB of space, my problem is this, the last week or so it has become more and more slow running asp scripts and accessing access 2000 databases with the scripts, on 2 different quiries it just hangs in the explorer and I have to restart the server to get it on again.

I cant figure out what the problem is so I need information on how to optimise a IIS with Intranet on that type of machine, and what IIS hotfixes are recommended, I have installed a lot but is that really necessary aren’t there just 1 hotfix that contains them all or something.

Please help this is rather urgent

Regards

Jesper

Look for service packs they are regression tested and hot fixes are not. Hotfixes are for one vulnerability and the service pack will cover many. Be careful to follw sequencing properlt. You may need to do the servive packs in order. Sometimes you can just do the latest one. Jeff Lenzo, SSCP

What type of traffic do you have on your Intranet? By the sounds of your hardware config, it should be able to hand the load. I would suggest looking at the code of the ASP, for example are the database connections being closed? Is the database server on a different machine?

The behaviour you describe sounds like either a memory leak and/or poorly written code.

Hi Thanks for you responds

I have just get the performance up, improved a lot actually.

What i have done is I removed some unnecessary hotfixes when its only running as an Intranet server and no access to the Internet also did some generally housekeeping, there were a lot of stuff that could be deleted and finally to improve database performance I uninstalled Access 97. It had both Access 97 and 2000 installed before. The 97 version was needed by applications that now has been removed. As soon as I removed that all database request are multiple times faster.

Jesper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back