Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optical (not cordless) mouse keeps turning off

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAwake

Programmer
Jul 28, 2003
Greetings,

I got a Logitech Mouse Man Duo Optical (not cordless), and no matter where I plug it in (usb or mouse port with adaptor) it always turns off after some time. At the beginning, the laser went out and I had to pull it out and plug it in afterwards to make it work again, now (after reinstalling the drivers) the laser stays on but the pointer does not respond though (same method of fixing). I have no clue why this is happening and its terribly annoying, especially during games or when I use a programm like photoshop.

Im running Win XP Sp2 and recently disabled a lot of services, but I doubt that this is the reason.

Can you help me with this one :( ?

I had a similar problem and fixed it by replacing the mouse as it was still under warranty.

Thanks for your reply, sadly mine is out of gurantee. It has performed well for about 2 years, this sudden change seems rather suspicious to me...

suspicious??

It's a hardware issue. I would look into buying a new mouse to correct this issue.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Suspicious in a "Ah its windows' fault...again" way...Hmm I can hardly develop positive feelings towards the "gotta buy a new one" solution, however in the end it might be my only choice as it seems.

i had same problem, got new mouse and it was fixed.

Oddly,

. under PS2 the light may stay lit
. under USB it might not

If the mouse does not work or works intermittently as you described, replace it.

This is not an Windows issue. A corded mouse has two key pressure points: where the cord enters the mouse, and the end connector. A failure after time at either point is not unusual. The hard thing about PS2 connection points is that they are soldered directly to the motherboard, and if the failure is on the socket itself (and corded mice can easily do this) your only choice is either a special gift with soldering irons or a new motherboard. I had a site with brand new Compaq workstations that within the warranty period had nearly every single motherboard replaced because the PS2 port had failed from the pressure of the corded mouse.

Hmm okey thanks everyone for the replies so far...Just one more thing: I assume I should go for a cordless mouse then, since it does not feature such a nasty cord?

You are very welcome.

It never dawned me how often I had been working around cord issues until I went wireless for the mouse.

You could not convince me to use a corded mouse again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back