Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Optical mouse woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalisperas

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
US
I'm having a funny issue. I have a G3 iMac 450, and the mouse that came with it (an Apple Pro Optical, one of the first ones, just after they came out) was beginning to act really strange. It would erratically jump the pointer all over the screen at times, and not just upon waking up. I could just be using it normally, and it would occasionally move the pointer in completely the wrong direction. Lately, this was becoming more than occasional, and was getting to be a real pain. So, I just went out and bought a new Logitech 2-Button optical. When I first plugged it in, it worked great. I could move it in any direction as fast as possible, and it would track just perfectly. But now, after a couple weeks, it's starting to do the same thing as the last one. It's still very occasional, but it's got me a bit concerned. Is this just something that optical mice do, or could it be something else?

Any ideas?

We had a similar prob that we tracked to dirty mouse mats. Any use?

We haven;t had much luck with Apple optical mice - they tend to only return about 6-9 months intensive service before giving errors and eventually dying.

I've had my Apple Pro USB Mouse for over 2 years with heavy use and I've never had any problems with it. Much faster than the old ADB and no need to clean the rollers and ball.

I'd buy a G5 but I'm not rich.......

I have been using an Apple Pro USB Mouse with my G3 iBook for about 3 months and have noticed one problem with optical mice, they won't work on all white glossy surfaces. No reflection of light? I found the same thing happening on PC opticals also!

Hope this helps!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back