Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OPTI AUDIO 16 SOUND CARD WONT WORK IN WIN XP PROF

Status
Not open for further replies.

dprao

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2001
CA
Hi,

After installing Win Xp Professional on my computer, the sound card which is OPTI AUDIO 16 wont work and I could not find the diriver for it. Can you anyone advise what can be done.

DPR

Yes, it's a simple fix: You just need to buy a good sound card. (and one that is NEW, and supported by the manufacturer).
I recommend a SB PCI 128 ...... best card for the money.
XP compatible.
( ~$20 + ~7 shipping)

People usually tend to blame Microsoft for XP incompatibility, but it is ENTIRELY the manufacturers responsibility to write a little code for their hardware, and MS has made that real easy.

If your hardware is old, and the manufacturer is long gone, or just won't write drivers for old hardware, then you have to move on.

Opti Audio sound card. I seem to remember they didn't work too well with Windows 3.1 either. Buy a new one.

Chris

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advise. This card worked very well with all other versions of Windows 95/98/98SE including Win ME which I had prior to installing Win Xp. I am not blaming XP for this and I know we have to move on. I did not want to spend more on this system (P-II, 400Mhz) as I bought a new hi-end system recently and the P-II is used mostly for games, thought would be able to fix it by software, last alternative was purchase, looks like there is no option.

dprao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back