Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opti 420 Phones getting stuck in "Initilising" (H4K V2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnzy111

MIS
Jan 3, 2008
US

Most of our Optipoint 420 standard phones get stuck in init.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I'm going to throw out a few more comments on this because I just had 3 phones that did the exact same thing.

I ordered 8 refurbs - 1 advance and 7 standards. Took the advance out of the box and hooked it up - expected it to come up to the configuration screen and it stayed on initializing unless I powered it up with no network connection. Screwed around with it for 4 hours, all the while cussing out the IT folks for some unseen network change.

Pulled a standard out of the box and spent the next 4 hours screwing with that. Both phones I went through and did factory resets on them as part of my troubleshooting procedures (cuz they were used and may have had bogus settings in them).

Now, and hour past my exit time, and fully pissed off I pulled out a 3rd one - boing! Fired right up, no problems.

Out of the remaining 5 phones I found one more with the same problem, and the other 4 were fine.

The 5 that fired up had OS and bootloaders all over the spectrum so it was not a software thing.

My verdict now: If the phone is stuck in initializing, regardless if it gets POE power from the LAN, and regardless if it says Checking Link and succeeds and the happy light flashed on the switch, the network interface is bad and you should send the phone back where you got it or scrap it without screwing around.

Loading software is fine, and I'm going to flash all mine before I roll them out, but you can't load software if the phone never gets a DHCP network connection (or otherwise) to allow you to do it!

:)

Had the same issue. Bought some refurb phones because I couldn't get some of mine to finish the 'initilising' process. Factory defaulted the refurbs then had the same issue when I put them on the network. I could configure them with just power but once they attached to the network - all I get is 'initilising'. So my vendor tried to configure them on his network. He had the same problem. After messing around long enough, he was able to get the OS updated and they started working on his network. I haven't tried them on mine; ran out of time and haven't got back to it. The boss says 'just give them a digital phone instead of an IP phone and be done with it'. So I don't want to spend too much more time. But I hate it when I lose to equipment! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back