Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OPT 61c upgradable to CP PII possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbot

Programmer
Jan 23, 2003
GB
Is it possible to upgrade a 61c CP2 to 61c CP PII without FNF? I know the upgrade is supported for a 61/61c to 81c PII with FNF as it says so in the NTP's but no reference to keeping it a 61c.
I know that there is not much point either - I mean buying a super CPU for a 1 group switch and all that is a waste but Nortel sent it! It is either a mistake in their order process or it does work. But which?
The packages are for 61 not 81 and CP PII but no FNF.
If it can be done, any chance of some documentation?
TIA

Why would you want a FNF in an Option 61C. It is only used to connect more than one network group together. An Option 61C works great with a CPPII processor. I have done many upgrades to CPPII from all the different processors ie CP2 CP3 CP4. FNF is ONLY used in an Options 81C or as new terminology a Sucession 1000M multi-group.

I know about MG/SG but like I said I wouldn't want to as a 61 is a 1 group switch (refering to FNF). My question was can a 61 be upgraded to a CP PII 1 group (i.e. are the D and E cables the same to connect the buses, etc). According to MERL3 it is not supported unless it is a 61/61c to 81c FNC+CPII (pakages 365 and 299 are required - FNF & 81c I don't have these packages) but an ex nortel collegue tells me it is if it is Succession Rls3. It is documented in the 'latest' NTPs which i will be getting soon - aparently...

The D and E cables that a 61C (non CPPII) is needed to connect the two half groups together. They are NOT required nor cannot be used on a CPPII 61C. The CPUs talk through the LAN1 and LAN2 connections between the pentitium processors.

To answer your question simply, Yes you can upgrade a 61C/61 to a CPPII. The D and E cables are not required. The upgrade requires the two CPU shelves be replaced with the CPPII type shelves. IE card cage upgrade.

YES it can.

A 61c to PII upgrade is supported as long as you go to Rls 3 software.
The D and E cables are required to allow the both half groups to communicate not for the CPUs. (The PII card cages has the provision for the D & E cables) The PII CPU's only sync through the LAN. I have just upgraded the 61 tonight with no problems - core 1 is PII (new cage) and Core 0 is the old CP2 with the CNI & CMDU disabled and the CP pulled out. If the D&E cables were not connected core1 could not talk to core 0! Doing core 0 tomorrow.

Found the docs and the upgrade procedure is in the SERL3 CD set doc number 533-3021-258

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back