Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opt.11 Static

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komico

IS-IT--Management
Sep 14, 2012
US
Lots of static that was on a few lines is now everywhere. Swapped a few digital cards, no change. I have a 2nd unused cabinet, so I swapped power units, no change.
Layout order is PSU, an unused but powered SSC card (no fiber link to 2nd cab), DTI/PRI card, 5 dig cards, 1 analog card, and an MM module.

When I use an external phone to ring into the system, there is static during the ringtone. The same type we hear internally when dialing extensions (or just by picking up a handset).
Electrical engineer (my boss, an ex-T.I. guy) checked system ground and connections but found nothing out of the ordinary.

Btw, I'm a noob when it comes to trunks and medium-to-high end system stuff for the Opt11 system.
But I'm pretty good at doing anything related to TNs, phone sets, and basic admin stuffs.

Do you have multiple cabinets? Are they connected via fiber? Change the fiber that connects them, or change the fiber rcvr card and/or fiber daughterboards. That is what normally is causing the static. You can try reseating them to start, since that is cheapest to do.

John Anaya
Amdocs Inc.
ACSS/ACIS - CS1000 Rls 7.5/Call Pilot 5
ACSS/ACIS - SME - IP Office 8.0
APSS/APDS - Avaya UC Services

Public Profile

2 cabinets; 0 & 1, and cab1 is powered down. We've taken cab1 apart to use its parts (mainly the backplane & PSU) for spares as needed, but it does not have an SSC NTDK20AB card as cab0 does. Cab1 only has a NTDK23AA receiver card. We've reseated & nudged all cards many times in hopes of the problem being a bad oxidized cold solder joint somewhere.

If you're getting static on internal calls as well as external, you have a bad cabinet, failing SSC card and/or one or more of your cards is causing the problem...ruling out grounding since you said you already checked that.

If you already changed out the cab and you still have this problem, next I would unseat all cards except for the SSC and 1 line card - test for static...test each backplane slot 1 at time till you either eliminate or confirm. If that's to much to do, replace the SSC card.

To replace the SSC card, I should get the same model #? (or slightly higher is ok?)
And try to have it match our current release of;
version: 2111
release: 22
issue: 16+
?

I agree with the last comment. disconnect as much as you can first. You might well have a dodgy SSC in the expansion cabinet as they had their own media software installed. I would also connect onto the TTY serial port associated with the expansion cabinet to check the state of the configuration as I've know them to fail with corruption and they need the software reloading again.

I'm guessing that your phone system is a CS1000s?.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Firebird Scrambler:

As far as I know, since I assume CS1000 = Meridian 1 Opt.11
Everything works fine except for the static.
Anyone know how can I check the release # of the SSC card for a replacement?
meridian.jpg

Duh, it's Rlse 5 for the SSC card, which I read as rise 5 on the front of the card.
My boss is now laughing his butt off.

OK, Thanks for the photo as I can now see that you have a CS1000M with one expansion fibre cabinet fitted.

The SSC card looks to be a NTDK20AB?. If this is correct and that your software release is at 05.xx, then I would change your SSC card to a later version. I didn't think that your card was supported for the later releases.

According to my notes, the SSC should be a minimum release of NTDK20CA.

You might have to consider jacking out the cards and even power down the mail system to see if the static stops, but I would still try working on the fibre cabinet first with a view to disconnecting the cards or link.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

I'll most likely be asking for help in backing up the old card to restore it to the new one.
I'm in north Austin, TX if anyone can recommend a good vendor in the area.
I currently work with someone who used to work on these but isn't sure about the exact procedure, and he says the old SSC card serial # might be linked to the MMail system?

If you aren't using the expansion cabinet remove the fiber daughter board to see if that is causing your problem. That isn't a CS1000 anything, it's an old Option 11C

KCFLHRC - Yes, the second cabinet is powered down and the fiber link between the two has also been removed. There were no active cards in it besides the PSU and the fiber daughter card. IIRC this was the first thing we tried.

No, nothing removed from the main SSC card, Cabinet0 is the same (except for the new power supply) as it ever was, except for the static - there was a 10m fiber cable linking the main SSC card (NTDK20AB) to a fiber rcvr card (NTDK23AA) in the 2nd unused cabinet, and we removed that link and powered down the 2nd cabinet. Doing that neither helped nor hindered the static.

So basically cabinet0 is unchanged except for the new PSU, and we've reseated everything in it a number of times in hopes of it being a bad pin connection or something. It's still in working order, but noisy enough to have purchasing get us a temporary magicjack for the main conference room phone.

So from much appreciated help here and elsewhere it seems to be an issue with the main SSC card (or backplane possibly) and we have replacements on the way for those.

New card is in, it has release 16 (!)
I'm still calling around trying to figure out how to copy the DB/data from the old SSC card to the new one.

Update: new NTDK20AB Rlse 16 card replaced the old one, a tech got everything transferred, and it's back to its old self, no static.
MM still not working though, and from massive reading it seems the HD needs rebuilding. That sounds like fun.
(stat aml shows lyr2 connected - lyr7 active empty, stat 10 shows my 3 ports as BUSY - BCS MSB LOG OUT, it just rings and rings but MM does not pick up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back