Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OpsMan-->Network Element Editor--> PDG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2007
US
Has anyone ever added a "Non-SX2000 PDG Member" as a network element? I just noticed that this was an available option, and could certainly use it as long as it works. Thanks!

No, not a 3300, although I do have 3300s that are already part of this same PDG along with other 2Ks. I have users that have moved to a remote PBX ("site Z" - not Mitel) that are connected back to a 2K ("site A") which is part of a cluster, that needed to keep their ext's. Site Z gets all of it's trunking from the Mitel network, and the users still needed to be part of the dialing plan on the Mitel network to route their DIDs to them, and to allow ext to ext dialing.
At this point I have entered Site Z's exts as ARS entries on Site A. Since all PBX's in the cluster need to know about all ext's in order to dial them, I added Site Z's ext's into Ops Man, with a home element of Site A, and everything works as far as routing is concerned (Site Z's exts just don't appear in Site A's tel dir).
SO...rather than create a separate ARS entry for each ext (they aren't in a range) if I could add this site as a cluster element in each Mitel PBX (along with correct ARS)- and add into Ops Man Network Element Editor as a "non-SX2000 PDG Member" it makes sense that it COULD work. Then I should be able to select it as a home element in the Ops Man tel dir for ext's that have moved to Site Z,and calls should route without individual ARS entries. I don't think deltas are created when cluster elements are added that aren't local elements.
Does this sound like it would work?

how did you get site Z's extensions into ops man if site Z is a non Mitel PBX? through the directory editor?

to be honest if you do get it to work I'd like to know about it. maybe someone else has an idea. I don't think you're gonna get site Z to function on OPS the way you'd like or get site Z to be a true part of the cluster by adding it.

Correct - I added them into Ops Man tel dir because I needed them to be in every other site's teldir and allow them to be dialed (preferably w/out needing to make individual ARS entries for each number). The entries obviously fail syncing to Site A, which I have listed as their home element because they are ARS entries on that site, not actually local tel dir numbers. I then manually add them into Site A's tel dir, where they show up as external numbers, but atleast when I do a dbtab 29 my teldir entries remain the same across all members of the cluster.
I don't expect to have Site Z actually be managed by Ops Man, I really am just hoping to use Ops Man as a tool for distributing the numbers to each Mitel's tel dir (which will populate the ext's CEID)for routing purposes. I don't need to collect or send anything to/from Site Z. Just looking to route calls there and have Site Z's ext's remain part of the PDG.
I'm not sure if Ops Man will even let me do it - but if I figure it out I'll let you know.

The answer to your question is yes you can. You do this in the same way as you would in adding another new 3300 to the cluster.

Think of a CEID for the member, add this to your ARS and to the Network Elements assignment. Do this on all mitel systems within the cluster.

Add to the Opsmans Editor as a non PDG member.

Add your entries to the opsman telephone directory and your home element will be there to select. Your sync to the systems will then work fine.

I hope this helps

There is no 'I' in 'Team'

If I choose non-PDG member in the Element Editor, how will OpsMan know which CEID to assign to these ext's in the teldir in order to properly route them?

When you try to put the non member into the editor, you will be asked to put in the element ID, (when the portable direcoty box is selected) which you would of assigned in your clustered systems along with the CEID digits.

There is no 'I' in 'Team'

Mitel100 - thanks for your help - thats what I would expect to do, but wasn't sure when I saw your previous notes to add as a non PDG member (so OpsMan won't attempt to send changes to the site).
I'll set it up later this week - thanks again!

Mitelpassion - a "non-SX2000 PDG Member" has been added successfully to the cluster! I set it up just as all other cluster elements, other than I did not select managed by this Ops Manager. This site is then added to the portable directory group, but since managed by this Ops Man is not selected, Ops Man does not try to collect or propagate any changes to it. Only the CEID digits need to be added to each member of the clusters ARS. This is going to save me a ton of time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back