Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opportunistic File Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameslearuk

Technical User
Jul 11, 2003
US
Hi there,

I have a Windows 2003 Enterprise File Server and am having issues with sending files via Connect6 Direct.

There are 8 folders that get written to. One folder is written to by an application that calls MS Word functions in the background and this is working fine. The other 7 folders are written to using MS Word directly off the same machine as the other application but I am seeing sporadic failures in Connect Direct that point to a sharing violation.

After using FILEMON I an seeing that these files are locked and after some investigation I am thinking that it is related to opportunistic file locking.

The clients are WinXP.

Having done some searching I found the following link -
When I looked for the Registry keys mentioned, suck as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MRXSmb\Parameters\OplocksDisabled I cannot find it.

If the key is not there, is there a default setting that either enables or disables it?

Can anyone offer some advice?

Regards

James

As a default it is enabled, even if the entry is not there.

add the EnableOplocks REG_DWORD, set it as 0 to disable it, as described in the KB. Personally I have only used this one entry, not the others as described in the KB.

Just check a Win2003 server, the entry is not there by default.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back