Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinions on Upgrade/Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreux

IS-IT--Management
Dec 29, 2000
US
Hey all,
My company is merging w/ another and I have the fun task of connecting all of our systems. My first objective is to build a bigger Exchange server to handle the added users (approximately 400 total). They currently don't have a mail system, so that parts easy! Here's where it gets tricky. We are an NT4 shop w/ Exchange 5.5 sp4. Where do I go from here? I'll have to do a relatively quick merger/upgrade, and we'll be connected to our partner via a T1. Should I install Advanced Server and Exchange 5.5. What's the best upgrade path right now? We're obviously not using Active Directory, so I don't think we can use Exchange 2000....is it worth the pain for that? In addition, I have to change our Organization name w/in exchange which requires a rebuild also....I'm assuming Exmerge is the way to go for that part of the upgrade (just keep users mail in PST form). Any help/insight/links/experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Dreux

If you are merging and want to keep it separate (particularly to minimise use of the T1), why not stick an Exchange 5.5 on NT box at their company as a new site in the same organisation?

You don't need advanced server for any option as far I can see.

PST files are asking for trouble, put all emails on the server and leave them there - then you have centralised backups and brick level fallback.

That's what I wanted to hear about advanced server! I'm leaning towards pst's for the loads of old mail that's on my current server from before I set limits and rights. In addition, I have close to no faith in Arcserve! We do full nightly backups to DLT, and it's great for recovering files, but I can see it being a major pain in a disaster recovery situation. I know Exchange itself is not friendly @ all in a disaster recovery. The T1 will only be used for Internet and e-mail. In addition, I'd rather have one exchange box here @ my location. The other location is 4 hrs away!
Thanks, Dreux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back