Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinions on File Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanson

MIS
Apr 23, 2001
US
I need to build a file server for 20 to 25 users in a branch that only has a T1 connection to their current file server.

I was thinking of using IDE RAID 0 for fault tolerance (performance is not a big deal). The sepcs would be:

1.2 Ghz Duron
512 MB RAM
2@40 GB 7200 RPM IDE HD

The second issue is this -- what advantage is there to using full blown server software as opposed to workstation software?

Any thoughts?

workstation will only allow 10 simultaneous connections.
Get NT server, and the rest of your specs look fine for 25 users.

good luck

Hi Friend,

The specs look fine to me too ... But I'd also look into (Network Attached Storage) NAS as an economical alternative if all you need is a file server. Basically, you'll get same processor without the add-ons Microsoft headaches (OS, licensing fee, upgrade patches, etc...) You will also enjoy unlimited users ... Look into it!

Yeah, Baby!
AP

Yes, the NAS severs can be nice. I've got a Dell PowerVault 715N and it's a piece of cake to set up. Mine has the 1.4GHz CPU, 512MB of RAM, and 480GB of IDE Software RAID 5 disk space, and a Dell PV120T DDS-4 autoloader.

One warning though - it uses a stripped version of Windows 2000 Advanced Server so your backup software may need an updated version to run with it.

Tony

FYI RAID 0 does not provide any fault tolerance. Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

Aye for fault tolerance you want some good stripping, or if not going to the price of 5 Hard drives, at the very least use Mirroring.

I don't know why, but I always think mirroring is RAID 0. Someone else pointed this out to me and I forgot that I made the same mistake on this post.

Hanson

Austin Powers is right, again.

For a simple file server there are many very interesting alternatives to a NT license.

Reliability, speed, security and price cna be improved upon with other choices.

It is an ideal time to break out of the box.

If what you wanted to do is RAID 1 and your users already use a NT or Win2K server for there fil server stay with it.
Putting in new type of operationsystems and boxes req. that you know how to use them.

If this is a small office in a bigger company go for what you normaly use, but since you look info a very small server with EDI disks I don't expect that you are in a bigger company since they tend to have standards on what to use.
I have never tried EDI hardware RAID, but go for hardware RAID and not software RAID. Rebuild on software RAID is not always easy.

Remember backup (and most of all restore)
The cost for backup software, A DLT drive and 25 DLT tapes cost a lot more then your server.

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back