Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinions for a new laptop for my sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danhasmail

Technical User
Jul 15, 2003
US
Hi everyone,
I build my own systems but need opinions for a laptop for my sister who lives in another state. She's ready to upgrade and plans on buying a new laptop.
Her current PC is 11 years old. What I want her to get is something top of the line because she won't be upgrading again for another 10/11 years.
She's not a gamer, just needs MS Office and email. But i want her to have lots of speed cause she only has DSL and not cable like i have.
And also because she won't be upgrading again anytime soon.
Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.
thanks
danny

But i want her to have lots of speed cause she only has DSL and not cable like i have."

This comment doesn't make sense. There are two "speed" issues: PC & Internet. One has nothing to do with the other UNLESS the machine was so slow that everything was dragged down by lack of memory or a virus. Then it would bleed over into the internet speed. But with a healthy, decent PC, the two are not related.

So, in general, internet speed is what it is and then your PC runs how it does.

If she only uses office and email, any 4 year old laptop would do. But if you're going new think about getting windows 7 64bit so you can run more memory. Something with 4GB RAM or more (or expandable for the future) if she's going to keep it that long. Other than the memory, any new laptop will do what you want.

I would decide on screen size first and then work from there. A "not bad" idea would be to look at one that does NOT have an integrated video card - in other words, one that can be removed and replaced. Why - because video cards often go in laptops and if it's integrated, you have to replace the motherboard to get it working or just throw out the laptop.

I have to agree with goomb. Speed difference between DSL and Cable is pretty much non existent. If you could afford it, I'm sure you can get a DSL that's faster than cable.

A new machine will run just as fast on one as on the other. The internet speed would vary of course depending on what package you have. Cheaper packages will have a slower internet speed.

If she just wants email and office, then pretty much any middle of the line laptops will work for that and last for a long time.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

A fast computer will not make the DSL any faster. She can just upgrade the DSL to a different speed around 2 levels up from the lowest level. Speed = $$$. The other problem is that laptops are not really known for speed. Most of them I have speen are Win7 and an i-3 processor. Maybe alienwar has a fast laptop or get one of the pricier Dell Models with an I-5 processor or something like that. They make a lot of low end laptops but they really make you pay for one if you want it to be fast with a full HD 17" screen. Maybe having one of those SSD drives would make a laptop faster.

Dell is having some kind of a DELL Deal Days sale going on. Sometimes they also sell models in Walmart that are pretty good.

I think that's what we were trying to say. A fast computer will NOT make internet any faster or slower - it is what it is and what service level you pay for.

A really slow computer will mask any internet speed if it's so slow (using swap file for instance) that everything will be miserable.

But that's not really the issue - he wants to know what to buy and any new computer is not going to run like junk UNLESS it gets a virus.

I can't argue with a Dell because there are lots of parts to be had years down the road because they sell so many. Toshiba is supposed to be reliable, but if someone is keeping a machine that long, I like the idea of volume sales so that parts are available - even if it's on Ebay.

You will find that any laptop with an upgrade path for video will be more expensive than the others. A $500 laptop will not last 10 years. Just like everything else, one of the by products of making it cheaper to sell, is using cheaper materials. That is why the warranty period for most is 1 year or less. I would look at a laptop that had an LED back light system. It will last longer and use less electricity than a CCFL bulb will.

The other course of action is to build your own. There are kits that will include the base system, and you supply the cpu,mem,wireless card,hdd, and sometimes the optical drive. I bought a kit from MSI last year, and it has an upgradeable video card. It has an nvidia 9600GT card. look for any mention of an MXM 3B slot. You might have to go to the web and search out reviews and spec sheets to find this info out.

64bit?

You'd need a laptop that can support more than 4gb of RAM for starters, this belive it or nor, is not that common, as most have a max of two slots.
Asloono point spendin 1k on a super amazing laptop to "last 10 years"
Spend 500 now, stick the other 500 in a bank, because in 5 years time that super 1k state of the art machine will set you back about 150 - 200. Plus emmory will have changed, USB 4 will be out (yup USB3 will be old hat then), 1Tb drives will be standard (unless gone to Solid state).
So you super amazing purchase will be an obsolete, run of the mill 2nd hand bit of kit.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

I saw a laptop a year ago with 8GB of RAM, so it's not that uncommon. But good point about not trying to buy a laptop that will last forever. That would be my recommendation also.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.
I now realize i need to have her get a GOOD laptop now and then to plan on upgrading in about 5 years instead of her normal 10 - 11 years.
It reminds me that i have a desktop i buit in 2003 and spent some good money on, that is just sittin there pretty much useless now.
It's an ASUS P4c 800e deluxe mobo with intel P4 2.4 MHz 800fsb cpu, 4GB ddr RAM and ATi Radeon 9500 Pro AGP 128ddr video card.
Can't decide what to do with it.
Maybe just take the RAM out and stick in my drawer and throw the rest out.
ummmmm
Seams like such a waste. But that's the way it goes with electronis these days. Things change (for the better) so fast.
GOD bless you all and have a great holiday.

Don't throw it out, sell it on Craig's List. "Poorer" people will buy that machine and use it every day. Trust me - I've sold lesser machines than that for $100 that customers have given me. $Profit$

Put a price of $125 on it with a fresh install of the operating system and AVG Free.

Simplez!
Standard sized? 15.6inch....
Branded ie: HP/Dell/Toshiba/Samsung/Compaq/Acer/Asus/Lenovo
Gotta be Intel i3 or i5 powered for mid to high end.
Dedicated graphics (although your sister doesn't need it you should expect an addon graphics adaptor installed in middle to high end laptops.
500GB hard drive
Bluetooth
Webcam
SD slot
DVDRW is standard nowadays as is WiFi
Read some reviews

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Does she really need a laptop because she travels about or is it her preference because of the compact size?

If it is the latter, then try to introduce her to the compact desktops, many of which you can hide by fitting onto the vesa mount on the back of a monitor. One of those with a decent 20 - 24" monitor and a compact mouse/keyboard is going to be cheaper, be better to use and last longer than any laptop.

Regards: Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back