Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operation is not Allowed when the object is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

okitamura

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2004
US
I spent whole day trying to figure out this error. "Operation is not Allowed when the object is closed" and came with no answer. What I am simply trying to do is set a cursor for this particular record set. I know the code below works with simple SQL statement but as soon as I put in very long query in the strSQL variable. The below fails at the last line. I know that the "long query" is valid because it runs fine with Toad. If you someone could tell me what are the possible causes, it will help me greatly. I am so frustrated so any suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much

Sam

Dim strConn, sSQL As String
Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
Dim strDB, strUser, strPass As String

strDB = "XXX"
strUser = "YYY"
strPass = "ZZZ"

strConn = "Provider=MSDAORA;Data Source=" + strDB + " ;user ID=" + strUser + ";password=" + strPass

Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
rs.Open strSQL, strConn, adOpenForwardOnly

How long is the "long query", is it longer than a string variable type - have you checked to see the string actually contains the whole query. - You also may need to check the datatypes for a DAO recordset string query to see what its max size is.

Secondly, why dont you create the "long query" as a stored procedure as you will be eating up network traffic passing large strings back and forward on a regular basis.

Apart from that, I dont see anything wrong with your code.

"Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.

Thank you very much for your response.

You mean: You also may need to check the datatypes for a ADO recordset string query to see what its max size is?

The resultant query is fine because I can run it in Toad.
For the statement "rs.Open strSQL, strConn, adOpenForwardOnly"
Is there a max size for strSQL value other thatn the max characters that a string variable can hold?

I guess this long-query is the cause but since I cannot touch the server, I cannot write procedure on the server side though it is a great idea.

My question is how do I know which object is closed and how can I open it. Or is there any way to open a record set other than the way I did using ADO and not DAO?

Thank you very much again for your help.

In your long query, at the top, try setting
Set NOCOUNT ON
This should solve the problem I believe.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back