Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operating System Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

smittywes38

Technical User
Apr 16, 2004
US
I have a Compaq Laptop Presario C700 that has Windows Vista Home as an operating system. If I start it in Safemode I can use it fine except for the lack of drivers that load of course. When I let the system bootup without safemode it will show the icons and all looks good until I then try and launch any application. It is then that the computer freezes and I cannot get any response from anything including the mousepad.
Any suggestions? Again, in safemode I have no problems with the ability of the system except I cannot use its full capability due to the lack of drivers loaded.

Thanks,

Smittywes38

Have you been running backups? if not is there anything important on the laptop.

I would just format and install win7, this will save you a lot of pain n the long run.

Biglebowskis Razor - with all things being equal if you still can't find the answer have a shave and go down the pub.

Your problem could be hardware or software related. Check for hardware issues first.
1. Memory test (Memtest86+ or Windows Memory Diagnostic)
2. Hard drive test (Manufacturer's utility or maybe built-in diagnostics on the laptop)

Test booting to normal mode after EACH of the following after #3. Run the following in the order indicated. Download apps from another computer onto memory stick if internet is not cooperating on infected PC (safe mode with networking).

Reboot as asked by application - don't proceed to next step if asked to reboot.
1. Run CCleaner and clean out all temp files that it finds.
2. Download and run RKILL (rkill.scr or rill.com)
3. Run TDSSKiller
4. Run MalwareByte's Anti-Malware
5. Run Combofix AFTER removing anti-virus and rebooting

6. If no malware is found, try booting to repair mode and running SFC /SCANNOW
* Start your PC.
* If your PC has one operating system Press F8 key repeatedly as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appears you will need to start again.
* In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear.
* Highlight the Repair Your Computer option and Press Enter.
* Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button.
* Next select your User Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK.
* The recovery options should now appear.
* Choose command prompt
* type this and press enter SFC /SCANNOW

THanks Big and Goom. I will attempt all that goom has indicated and while the end result may be to reformat and load another os, I am inclined to see what I can do with this while it does seem to run ok in safemode (limited). I am thinking also of the infected possibility. I will get back to this thread when I am done here.

Thanks,

Smitty

not sure if Vista has MSCONFIG (system config util) , but you can try to boot to safemode run MSconfig from your run prompt and turn off most of the "startup" APPS (startup tab) that you don't recognize, might let you boot up.... also some viruses do that also, so if you can scan from safemode, you might be able to fix it.

I would say that looking at startup items would be a solid step after all the items I gave you, but I'm doubtful it is the key.

I had a similar problem on a Win7 laptop - safemode worked, but that was all. I orderd the restore disks, and they seemed to work, but things got worse as it tried to download all the updates. It finally turned out that the HD was failing -and I did have an extended warranty, and the HD was replaced under the warranty. The software problems may be symptoms of a hardware problem. If you can, check the event logs.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back