Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operating System for Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert123abc

Technical User
Oct 26, 2007
GB
Hi,

I am new to using using Unix based OS. I have been drafted in to assist the running of our companies server which are mainly Windowss2003 however the main company server is has Oralce10G on an AIX 5.3 platform.

I obviously can't get AIX operating system which would run on my PC.
Can anyone advise please on how i can setup a home environment which would be similar. I can download Oralce 10G database. but what is the best free to try OS to run it on that would be a similar environment to AIX. I have RH version 4?

Anyone got any better ideas for a test idea i could be using?

I would go ahead and play around with Oracle on a Linux box. A good portion of the skills you'll learn with Oracle on Linux will be applicable to the Oracle/AIX environment.

Try to stay away from the Linux GUI environment as much as possible. In my experience, the biggest problem users have from going from Windows to UNIX is getting used to the command line.

You'll want to learn how to use a text editor in Linux (I personally think vi is the greatest thing since sliced bread) and the korn shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back