Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OpenView Newbie 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2001
US
We have been a Netview shop now for over 8 years, but due to new licensing cost with IBM, we purchased OpenView well over a year ago because it was considerably more cost effective. No one had much interest in getting it up and running, so it has just sat in the box. I had installed it on a Sun Sunblade 1000 with Solaris 8, dual 950MHz CPU's and 2GB of memory about 6 months ago, but had licensing problems. It took about three months of working with HP before they finally got back with us on a regular basis to fianlly get it up and running.

Since we pay for maintenance through HP, they have been sending us updates and now I can't remember which version I have installed. I think it's 6.41.... how can I tell for sure?

Also, our Manager has finally informed our team that we will decide this fiscal year which Network Management tool we will stay with and stop paying maintenence on the other, so it's my job to get OpenView up and running.

I've got v7.0... I would like to replace the existing version we have installed with this. Should I do an upgrade or just start new? If so, I'm real affraid of having the same license issue again with Solaris, where it would never run the script.

Thanks for the help in advanced.

You need to read, and re-read the NNM 7.0 migration guide. it as a LOT of information which will be critical to your change. I strongly recommend you make that document your first stop in your research efforts.

Here is the link:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back