Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opensource Antispam Gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyBravo1

IS-IT--Management
Mar 16, 2004
US
I am looking to build an appliance that will filter out email before it hits my exchange 2000 server.(SMTP Gateway) I was reading up on spamassassin and was wondering if anyone had articles on how to setup this configuration, to relay to my exchange box

Thanks much appreciated.

Spamassassin is not a Mail Transport Agent, you would have to set up one like postfix, exim or qmail to handle transporting the mail and then have it pass it through spamassassin before forwarding on to exchange.

do the build from netqmail and add clam-av and spamassassin. Then use the smtproutes settings in qmail to route mail through the gateway.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Yes, you could use Sendmail. I don't, but the idea is the same.

They would both be Mail Transport Agents (MTAs) since they would both be transporting mail via Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP).

You could use sendmail and set up spamassassin as a mail filter or "milter". Unless you are already a sendmail expert, I think you'd be better off with a different MTA. I use postfix and I love it, thedaver is a qmail advocate. They both have their own forums on Tek-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back