Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OpenRecordset SQL statement not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank72

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
IE
Hows it going

Access seems to be reading strSQL as if it should be an object and is returning a message saying it can't find it.
Is there something wrong with my syntax here?

strSQL = "SELECT [firstName] , [secondname] , [a1] , [a2] , [customerid] From dbo_tblcustomer ORDER BY [firstname]"
' Set Outer Recordset
Set CustDb = CurrentDb
Set Rst1 = CustDb.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenTable, dbSeeChanges)

anyone?

thanks alot

Frank

Using dbOpenTable tells Access that your strSQL is the name of a table that it will try to open. It isn't!!
Try using dbOpenDynaset or dbOpenSnapshot depending on whether you intend to amend the data or not.

M.

Thanks Mossoft

I already tried these 2 types but it returns err msg "Too few parameters. expected 1" 1, I presume is for OpenTable?

maybe something wrong with sql statement?

thanks

frank

I suppose you already tried making the data into a table with a maketable query and opening that as your recordset?

Hi Frank!

Ususally the too few parameters error indicates a misspelled field name. Mossoft is correct about the dbOpenTable, you cannot use it with an SQL string. I usually use dbOpenDynaset.

hth Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

The SQL cannot be applied because it contains a field name that does not exist in the table. So it is assumed that the unknown field is actually a parameter and will have been supplied.

As Jebry says: Check the field names.

M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back