Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OpenOffice.org pdf file problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

junedonofrio

Technical User
Dec 31, 2003
US
i am using quark 5.0 windows, i have a pdf file that someone sent me, usually i just bring this in a picture box, it has been working fine with pdf's that i have converted myself with distiller. the problem comes with this new file from "OpenOffice.org" after i put it into quark i sometimes convert that quark page to a pdf & then print it out, (get a better quality print) but when i try to do this it looks like everything is saving fine, but when i go to look for the file its no where, cant find it anywhere. i think it may have something to do with the OpenOffice.org (i have no idea what this is ?). any help will be appreciated.
thanks,
June

Open Office is an open source office program with similar features as Microsoft Office. Are you writing a postscript file of the page your trying to make (print to file) and then distilling, or just saving as PDF?

Donna

hi Donna, i dont know how to make the postscript file, i have been just saving as a pdf(i just print, change printer to distiller & then save where ever), this has worked fine before with either my pdf files or other pdf files people have sent me. do you think it has something to do with the openoffice ?? thanks, June

I'm guessing that an Open Office doc could have some problems due to differenct fonts, etc. I beleive that OO has its own pdf export, but you will not know how that pdf maker works.

since you have Distiller, try opening the OO pdf in Acrobat and Save As a new pdf and see what the result is. You might also open that OO pdf in Acrobat and go to File/Document Properties just to see what's in there.

Depending on you version of Acrobat, you can Save As various other formats. You could try Encapsulated Postscript (EPS) and see how that works. You could also try Tiff or you could try Save As a Postscript file and running that .ps file through Distiller.

thanks Donna for the info, I will try what you have suggested
June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back