Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OpenOffice as MySql Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

InnSun

Programmer
Aug 10, 2002
US
This thread is intended for sharing of experiences with OpenOffice + MySQL. It's a continuation of one first started in the OpenOffice.org forum: thread904-352533

The OpenOffice "Data Sources" function opens up an "Access-like" interface that provides a client to MySQL (or another like database server), thru properly configured ODBCs. A description of what's involved in setup is here:

Some things I'm interested in:
[ul][li]Hearing from those who have had success with this configuration.[/li][li]Knowing if others would like to see changes/additions to this OpenOffice function.[/li][/ul]
I'm currently testing this on a Red Hat 7.3 system.

j.ingersoll

a reply to "In the Open Office Data Sources Screen, nearly all of the Access Query functionality is provided for. However, I don't see anyplace to do Relationships (as in the "Tables" Object screen of Ac.)"

If you install the ADABAS database you will see the relationship feature, right click on the word "tables" in the datasource window.
This also shows up with the OCELOT database, however openoffice crashes with OCELOT, as well as with FIREBIRD.

The funcionality is there and shows up with some databases. Why? How? Don´t know.

Cheers,

Peter

brotherpeter, Thanks for your reply.

I'm glad to know that relationships has been given some attention, albeit in other database servers.

Isn't ADABAS what primarily makes the difference between OO (free), and StarOffice 6.0 (Commercial)?

Oh well, my friend has a copy of SO 6.0; maybe I can check it out there.

I have never heard of OCELOT & FIREBIRD. But may try them one day.

Regards,

Johnny I.

Just a general note: Joe Barr has an interesting couple of articles starting here:

In the forum following the article(s) you have some shared experiences documented (and, IMHO, some caustic and unnecessary comments from anonymous %-( )

regarding adding/modifying in MySQL, I would say first look into GRANTing permissions (probably as root, or whoever owns the application). See e.g.,

regarding a windows setup, yes it would be good to hear some experiences from that perspective. But, can I encourage you,
why not run Linux? Re-partitioning, setting up Multi-boot, Downloading/instaling a distro is fairly easy today . (all free unless Win2k/XP has all of your hd, in which case Partition Magic is apparently the only way to repartition).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back