Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Openning Works documents in Office 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFChristie

Programmer
Oct 25, 2002
US
Hello, again.

I've been trying to open a works document for someone, and cannot get it to work. I've installed Office XP with all the converets (Works, I believe, was listed as one). That didn't work. When I try to open the file, I get garbage (all special characters), and it tries to open it as a spreadsheet.

I also downloaded the Works converter from Microsoft, with no change.

Is there anyway to open a Works file using Office (XP specifically)?

Thank you.

I have just come across the same problem. All of the converters are installed in Office XP. When I try to open the file all I get are extended characters. Did you every find a solution?

Thanks

I've fiddled with the same dilemma quite a bit over the last few. The best fix I've found is to open it in Works and resave as something more readily compatible. I've got a Works install, and will be happy to have a go if you care to send it over. Email is: xcrackerboy@fastmail.fmx
(Remove the leading and trailing x's before sending...)

Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, .csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS.

Text from the website above:-

Microsoft does not provide an import Excel filter for Works-WKS files later than version 2. (for Works-WPD and Word they do). There is no standard way to convert a lot of Works-WKS files into the Excel format. You need to save each file out of Works manually into XLS which is a pain in the neck. Here comes our MS Works Spreadsheets to Excel Converter. It does not need a Works Installation and you can use the batch converting wizard (see right side).
Completely integrated into Excel 97/2000/XP, no external program
Imports MS Works Spreadsheet (*.WKS) 3.x ,4.x, 200x files
Convenient, selfextracting and selfinstalling setup procedure
Can be removed completely with standard deinstall procedure
Works with Windows 9x, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP
Our RL-File-Conversion-Wizard is part of the package
Converts cell alignments, font styles, etc.
Excel helper macros to make migration easier
No need for a Works installation
Free Updates: Our registered customers can download the latest version from our download area at any time

Two articles from Microsoft that deal with Works and the files it can open/save as.

Works: Sharing Works Files with Other Programs

Works: Limitations of Sharing Files with Excel

Regards
Ken................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

I was actually trying to open the files in Word - but had the same problem - only special characters.

This has been an ongoing problem with Works versus Office - not just Office XP. And, presonally I think it's idiotic - even for Microsoft.

Works comes with most package PC's, so I could see where they might want to limit capabilities in it to goad you into buying a more capable software package.

However, Office is the most capable (that I know of) MS word processing/office package they offer. So, what possible harm would it cause to allow Office to talk to their own base software? None that I can see.

And, while easy for the computer literate, saving a Works document as something else is quite often beyond the capabilities of the simple user, especially if trying to lead them through it over the phone.

And, what makes it even more frustrating is that you can't get assistance from MS if you have an Office package that was sold as an OEM package. And, the OEM provider just suggests you call MS - for a surcharge.

Frustrating!

Anyway, I ended up suggesting that my friend purchase a printer. All they wanted was to print a file.

Have a great day!

I have used Text Recovery 'type' to open Works documents in Word 2000 and Word 2002. All texts was recovered but sections order was wrong. I thought it's my localized Word problem...

Just wanted to post a big THANK YOU to KenWright for the converter link. Spent a full day helping someone put together a bunch of Works sheets not realizing they wouldn't transfer to Excel at the office - saved me a days work not having to redo them all!

Nikgo [2thumbsup]

My pleasure, and thank you :)

Regards
Ken..............

[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back