Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening up other peoples in box mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

msg83

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
US
I can not open p other people in mailbox's. I am the admin with domain admin right and when I try to open other people's mail box I get this messages

unable to display the folder. The inbox folder could not be found.

Why is this.

I get this same error plus the following - "The information store could not be opened". This problem just started.

I have searched every where and cannot find an answer to my problem.

Please let me know if you get a response.

riod

Has your account (ie the one you are using to open the mailboxes) also been given the "User" rights on the mailbox?

Note - if it hasn't and you do give rights, it may take some time before this propogates properly.

Claudius (What certifications??)

If you open up Exchange Administratr, you need to set your account do be a "Service Account Admin".

In EA select the site, then use file/properties and and you can configure it here.

I did give myself service account admin and i still get that message. I am running exchange 5.5.

No it is not hidden, i should be able to open any end user mail box since i am the domain admin, but i can't

If you are a domain admin you can manage the domain and the mail server but by default you have no rights to read other usedr's mail. Why do you think you should be able to?

for security reasons, is there away of doing this avoiding me going to the users mail box and giving me access right, i would like to do it from the Exchange admin console

Yes, the service account feature "should" give you the rights (it's the "god status" of exchange).

Since you are already setup as one, and it does not say that you lack permission we can assume thats not the problem.

As I asked earlier how are you trying to open the mailbox/folder?

i goto on my outlook, file > open > other users folder and then i choose the user then i get that error

And when you are here, does it resolve the name okay?

Can you for example open the postmaster inbox from here?

hey, its working now, thanks everyone, it looks like in the other posting that it had to propogate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back