Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening Secured Access DB Using VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjpark75

Programmer
May 3, 2002
US
Hello,

I've been searching all over the net, as well as Microsoft's Knowledge Base, but could not find what I need. Basically, I'd like to take an Access 2000 database, secure it using the following:

(1) "Database Password"
(2) Access User-Level Security

Then, I would like to open them up, having the user login, but automatically bypass the "Database Password".

I can bypass the "Database Password" by opening the file through ANOTHER file. The user would open a different file which uses the OpenDatabase method to open the main database file, along with the "Database Password", but I can't utilize the "Secured.MDW" workgroup file to instate user-level security.

On the other side, I can create a shortcut which refers to the "Secured.MDW" file and have the user login. However, they have to deal with the "Database Password", which I can't seem to bypass with VBA code at this level.

Can someone please help? To reiterate, my objective is to use access level security, in a "Secured.MDW" file, via the "/WRKGRP" switch. ALSO, I want to bypass the "Database Password" if they go through the shortcut (user-login). If the user opens the Access database directly, it will prompt them for the "Database Password".

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Jung

Jung,

Why would u want to have Security AND DB Password. If u log in using just the DB Password, u would be the default user admin (i think), but the way i do it, I take all priviliges away from admin. Can't u make then use the shortcut??? Nick (Everton Rool OK!)

Nick,

Here's my current process:

1) MDB for editing/development
2) Disable "Bypass Key" and convert to MDE
3) Users double click a shortcut which refers to the MDW
4) Users must login with User-level security.

If I need to look at the tables in the MDE, I don't need to worry about porting around the MDW file. In addition, I don't need to re-encrypt whenever I make a small change to the application.

However, I am nervous that users will find that they will be able to import data from the MDE directly with no security. In addition, they'd be able to open the MDE directly with no security.

Any ideas?

Jung

if you setup the security correctly, as well as disableing the admin account, then then wont be able to get into the mde without using your shortcut that makes reference to it...

i checked into that befor i used access user level security...

and as to importing the tables to a new file, again, if the mde is secured right, it can't be accessed without the right password any way...

--Junior JHauge@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

Junior,

Yes, that's true. I can cover all bases, as far as security using a properly set up Access User-Level logins. However, the way I have it now makes it easier for me to make changes: (1) I don't need to have the appropriate MDW file, as I'd have to have multiple MDWs for multiple projects and (2) I don't need to re-encrypt the database or go through the Security Wizard everytime I make a small change.

I'm beginning to think that, in Microsoft Acces, there is no way to have the security of User-Level security and the ease of 1-password access sans MDW files through a "Database Password". Unless someone has an idea?

Jung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back