Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening remotely from another database

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaift

Programmer
Jul 10, 2006
US
I have a database that has scripts to open other databases, It is a database index if you will. I was wondering if i could have it open the other databases from the server with just a click of a button without having to go through the open remote
menu. I have it this way because my supervisor ask to make a "contents page" that will just direct you to the database you'd like to use. At the same time i want multiple users to be able to access it at the same time through the server without having to use the built in network sharing fmp comes with. Rather id want the "contents page" to open the files remotely without having to reprompt the user to choose a file to open

You don't mention what version of FM you're running or whether its Mac, Windows, or both.

For PCs running FM 6.x and newer on Windows you can create a desktop icon to launch a hosted database. What you can do is:

1. Right-click in an open space on your desktop.
2. Choose New > Shortcut
3. Manually type: fmp7://servername/filename.fp7
4. Give a name to the shortcut when prompted.

You can use either the name or the IP address of the server. Lets say I have a file called "Main.fp7" on a server called "FMServer". Here's the syntax I would use:

fmp7://FMServer/Main.fp7

-or-

fmp7://10.11.12.13/Main.fp7
(if the IP address of the server is: 10.11.12.13)

-Striker

We are all running 8.5 on both mac osx and windows xp,

My supervisor would like to have that index page which i feel is unneccesary, I guess it would be all for looks. How do i make sure that when they open it from the index page the file will be opened remotely through the server?

Hi also have the problem of not being able to modify the databases when i put it on the server, i get the error message that the file is not modifiable with a data entry account and administrator account.

I'm not sure I full understand. Let me know if this is close.

1. You're running FM Server.
2. Your workstations are mixed Mac & Win but all are ver 8.5
3. You have a number of different database files (.fp7 files) and your boss would like to have a "Main Menu".
4. All workstations would go directly to the Main Menu via a desktop icon rather than File > Open Remote > Specify a host and pick a file.

Is this what you are looking for? If so this is doable.

-Striker

yes that is exactly what he's looking for.

well no neccesarily a desktop icon, they would open a file maker file that would act as a "main menu" that would open the specified file (depending on which button they clicked) remotely

would you also happen to know why the files become non modifiable when i put it on the server?

I assume that they are non-modifiable because you are trying to modify the file directly using regular OS level file sharing. Once the server has the file hosted you should no longer be accessing the file directly yourself. When you need to modify the file you should open via FILE > Open Remote (or a shortcut) like everyone else.

If you need to work directly on a file you need to close the database using the Server Administration Tool (SAT). Once the database is closed then you will be able to open it directly and nobody else should access the file when it is in this state.

FYI: I strongly recommend that nobody ever open a Filemaker File via a network share. The folks at Filemaker Inc have cautioned the users not to use OS level sharing at all as it can lead to corruption of the database. Always use Filemaker's built-in sharing when more than 1 user is accessing the DB.

I'll try to address your other questions a bit later tonight.

-Striker

You could have an individual "menu" file located on each user's PC but I'm not a big proponent of this method because anytime the menu changes you have to change every user's PC. If you have a small number of users this isn't too difficult but if you have a large user base this can become unmanageable.

The alternative is to have your "menu" file located on the server and then put an icon (desktop or otherwise) on each user's PC that goes directly to the menu file. You could then have a bunch of menu buttons on the menu file that take the user to each of the other files (databases).

This is exactly what I do with my users. I have about 30 different files but all desktop shortcuts target the main menu only. In addition I have only the main menu file set to advertise itself in the FILE > OPEN REMOTE list in case a user comes in via that method. It is so transparent that I would guess that most users don't realize that they are switching files once the navigate away from the main menu.

In addition to being a launching point I also use the main menu to store user information. Not security settings because native FM does that well, rather I use it to store the user's Full Name, email address, street address, branch office, phone, fax, etc. I match their record to their account name so I have their information available to all of the other modules (files/databases).

-Striker

Thanks i think i got the problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back