Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

opening ports on firewall for yahoo messenger 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmund1978

Programmer
Jan 25, 2001
GB
I have recently installed win2k server and am connecting to it from win2k pro machines. The internet is setup on the server and the other machines connect to it. This works fine, but I can'y use yahoo mesenger on it. It won't connect. How do I open ports or set up the server to allow access. I have tried using the same settings in yahoo messenger as i do in internet explorer, but this doesn't work

The server has small business server installed also

Have you tried changing the settings found in Yahoo? (ie firewall no proxies, no proxy, etc.)

yeah, not sure exactly what to change them to, but tried everything i could think of. yahoo help said to open ports 5050 and 80 to their servers, cs1.yahoo.com, cs2.yahoo.com etc. but not sure how to do this

Are you using a real routed connection or ICS?

I'm not using internet connection sharing as far as i know, but not sure. It was set almost automatically by small business server. Each computer has firewall client software if that's any help.

You can find that info @
Basically Messenger uses ports in this order:
3.All available
(TCP Ports)

Although the yahoo help says you need to grant access to the following servers
cs1.yahoo.com
cs2.yahoo.com
cs3.yahoo.com

you may need cs1-7. I also use SBS2000, so I know the pain you are going through!

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back