Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening outlook over VPN connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpesiri

MIS
Aug 6, 2002
US
PLEASE HELP!
Have a Windows 2000 server with Routing and Remote Access loaded and configured. People can connect to VPN no problem, when they set up outlook on remote computer and open outlook it works fine. After they close outlook and try to open again it hangs and does not open. If they delete the profile and set up account again it opens no propblem. After they close it and open again, no good.

What they hell is happening.

When you say it hangs does it open up and hang, or just not open at all? If it is the latter, how long are you waiting before giving up?

Which version of Outlook are you using?

when they set it up are you setting up Personal Folders or Mailbox's (Exchnage).

If it is exchange, it has not hung! it is sync'ing the data between the server and the client.

The Other thing to check(if exchage), is that the check status is not looking for the server or at least lower the timeout..

Kind Regards, Paul Benn

**** Never Giveup, keep trying, the answer is out there!!! ****

In reply to royalmail. I'm setting up outlook as exchange mailbox and it opens fine first time, then close outlook (no synching) when I re-open it hangs and eventually asks to retry, work offline or cancel. Does not open. If I delete profile and create new it will open again.

have you set up a hosts file, I had this problem myself and discovered that it was a resolution problem. After editing the hosts file it has worked like a champ.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back